Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Making (fewer) Bad Decisions

Today I'm on the Peter McClellan Radio show (AM1570) at 4 PM, talking about "Making Bad Decisions" - and of course, the subtext is "how can we make better decisions" and "how can we avoid the bad ones"

I based my comments on a couple of books I re-read for this, Robert Cialdini's "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" and Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational."  I've included my mind-map notes on both books on my website, events page.

The one thing I really wanted to say that we didn't cover was about the critical importance of "reflection in action" in improving decisions.  That's deliberately revisiting how you reached the decision, honestly searching for what part was logic, what was "gut" or instinct, what information you had and what you lacked, what signals of external influence were present, and so on.

Many people think we make most of our decisions rationally.  Not so much.  There's a rational component, and some decisions are best made mostly rationally.  But we have a lot more brains than logic, and the unconscious, intuitive "hunches" and emotions are often bringing us important information that we haven't worked up to conscious awareness.

When we revisit our decisions to analyze them, we can better understand how we really made them.

Most people think of analyzing their failures, and of course we should.

But most don't think to analyze their successes.  And which do you want more of?

No comments:

Post a Comment